The Sewol sinking garnered extensive media coverage around the world. Eventually, as with coverage in Korea, it shifted from focusing on the incident itself to stories about Yoo Byung-eun. But unlike the Korean media, the media in the West did not correct coverage that had initially been inaccurate, because their reporters had moved on.
A convenient repository of articles, essays, summaries of investigations, and other factual materials related to the sinking of the Sewol ferry.
Click on the link or image below to view the full pdf
- The Korea Herald required addendum
- LA Times op-ed
- Ministry of National Defense Press Release – original Korean / English translation
- Hankyoreh article – Block the Sewol Ferry Heading to the Blue House at All Costs – original Korean / English translation
- Korean Press Arbitration Commission Report – original Korean full report / Korean relevant pages / English translation
- Sewol Ferry Disaster National Countermeasures Conference – original Korean / English translation
- Amnesty International South Korea Clampdown against Sewol ferry anniversary protest
- UN right to privacy OHCHR Statement to the media by the United Nations
- Full text of Konkuk University professors’ declaration of state
- Chihyung Jeon, Scott Gabriel Knowles & Sang-Eun Park (2022) Disaster (continued): Sewol Ferry investigations, state violence, and political history in South Korea